Heal & T H R I V E | Trauma therapy and business training for single moms and widows
Every $20 donated funded one mama heal and thrive through trauma therapy and extensive business training with Beauty for Ashes Uganda. This is no small thing. It is exponential and game-changing for 1,230 single mamas and widows (our sisters!) in Northern Uganda and their 7,500 children. Yup: that’s nearly 9,000 women and their families in Uganda. | December, 2019
THANK YOU from our sisters in Uganda!
This is one of the villages of women with whom our generous Seeds community is partnering to support the sistahs in receiving trauma therapy and extensive business training. They are grateFULL – you’ll see what I mean when you hear their voices and see their smiles!
Why this matters to me …
Because my life’s WHY is fueled first and foremost by LOVE – and my soul sistah Brandi Lea, founder of Beauty for Ashes (BFAU) radiates LOVE in who she IS and what she DOES. What this organization is doing among a community of vulnerable, brave, and never-givin’ up women in Northern Uganda is fueling and sustaining unshakable worth and jaw-dropping opportunities to these amazing mamas and their children. (Watch my conversation with Brandi in the link below.)
It matters a lot.
It matters a lot today.
PROGRAM Details …
TWO amazing ways we partnered to empower mamas with more TOOLS for both healing and thriving in this world!
1) Partnership with Tutapona (www.facebook.com/Tutapona and www.tutapona.com/) to bring a team to Northern Uganda for 6 months to walk every single one of our mamas through trauma therapy. REAL group therapy where they will learn and grow and HEAL! In fact, with past participants in these programs, Tutapona has seen a 60% decrease in PTSD symptoms. (Watch my conversation with Tutapona’s founder in the link below.)
2) Partnership with the ever-amazing Sarah Ray and her brand-new curriculum to bring 4-6 months of business training. She went in 2014 to teach two mamas from every group and they are STILL talking about it and her! This program will be training our literacy coaches and our staff in a 16-module curriculum to walk our mamas to even greater levels of thriving in their businesses will rock their worlds. (Watch my conversation with Sarah Ray in the link below.)
IMPACTFUL & IMPORTANT …
You might be wondering why these mamas have trauma and why is there a community of single moms and widows? (The answer to that requires a bit of a history lesson.) These sisters live in a unique part of Uganda that has made their trauma stories complicated. They are far enough north that the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) came violently through their villages, far enough south that they were deeply impacted by the Bush War (civil war with Idi Amin) and far enough east that the Karamojong Raiders have greatly impacted them. Thus, in the last forty years, they’ve been impacted by three different sets of war or rebel movements. Brandi and her organization have heard over and over how these sisters are gripped with fear, flashbacks, and PTSD. The impact of this trauma in their day to day lives is real and palpable.
Brandi and her team believe in healing and beauty – always and for all – even in the midst of the worst of the worst.
I want to see our mamas heal. They’re worth it. Their kids are worth it. I can hardly imagine without tears what it will be like for them to experience healing and more training. I can’t wait to watch them SOAR! Over the years of working with these mamas, we’ve heard their hopes for both trauma therapy and business training, and believe they are right about the impact both will have on their families. This is what they’ve said to us:
“When we heal, our minds will have peace.
When our minds have peace our businesses will thrive.
When our businesses thrive, our children will flourish.”
So, it is to their requests, their wisdom, their hope for the future that we are launching this program in 2020. Thank YOU for joining us, -Brandi & the BFAU mamas
CREATIVE ways you can join us …
- Collaborate! FORM A TEAM on GoFundMe and help us raise funds for a special occasion or celebration … or just because you want to! (Contact Sarah for info or to set your team up.)
- Share this page with 5 people passionate about trauma therapy, business training, global community, human rights. Let’s see how we can EXPAND this organization’s community connections!
- Watch the replays below of the Seeds Storyteller Series with the team of sister-collaborators working together in Uganda to bring healing through trauma therapy and thriving through business training. Check out more replays on YouTube.
- Ask for a donation to be made on behalf of your birthday or special event in celebration of YOU and your commitment to make a difference locally and globally.
- Connect with, follow, and friend Beauty for Ashes Uganda: website, Facebook, instagram, YouTube.
WATCH | Be informed, inspired, and ignited …
Stories of unstoppable bravery, sisterhood, and love with Brandi Lea | Uganda. We will be talking about why it matters so very much to her to resolutely walk into dark places and look for beauty in her work as founder of Beauty for Ashes Uganda … the answer lies in her inspiring and powerful story of unstoppable bravery, sisterhood, and love. More here.
Business skills for those experiencing poverty = Freedom, love & abundance | Sarah Ray. We will be talking about why it matters so very much to her to see her friends experience FREEDOM, LOVE and ABUNDANCE and how she believes that bringing business skills to those experiencing poverty does just that. More here.
Trauma rehabilitation for refugees & people affected by war | Uganda & Iraq – with Julie Gaede. We will be talking about why it matters so very much to her to work with those victims of rape and mutilation, former child soldiers, sex slaves, children, refugees and anyone affected by the horrors of war. More here.
Thank YOU. You are loved. You belong here. We belong to each other. It’s your destiny to make a difference: so, let’s stand tall together and light up the world!
xo, -Sarah Davison-Tracy – Author | Speaker | Founder, Seeds of Exchange – Making a difference locally and globally, together – Community | Storytelling | Giving