Through our partnership with Casa de Paz, we are raising funds to make it possible for a family who is separated geography, the border, and politics to be able to travel to meet one another at an annual event, called the 3-Minute Hug, so they can be reunited and near to each other at last. Let’s standTALL for dignity and declare with love that families deserve at least this: 3-minutes to hug and be together. | March, 2020 – Mexico & USA
WHY this MATTERS to ME …
Don’t know what the “3-Minute Hug” is? I didn’t either. I believe that we must know – and do! – something about this. Sarah Jackson, founder of Casa de Paz (Spanish for “House of Peace”), has been teaching me a lot about this. I love and trust this sister. What she is doing in the community of Colorado is rippling beyond our country’s borders and spreading around the world.
This fundraiser emerged out of a trip she took to the border of US and Mexico in November, 2019. She sent an email to friends and family upon her return and before I had even finished reading it, wiping the tears from my eyes, I texted her and said, “How can we help … now or in the days to come?” We’ve been talking for the past few months and, well, the day is here for us to come together and do something.
Rather than being deterred or divided by things like politics or ideology, I invite you to be drawn into this story because it is about being human. I invite you to learn more and be a part of this story, believing and claiming that these are not strangers, but they are our sisters and brothers. Even if uncomfortable, inconvenient, or confusing, join us and explore your part. You might just be called to do something – and it will light up the world.
ABOUT Casa de Paz …
Today, Casa de Paz provides visits and emotional support, shelter and meals, access to phones, WiFi, computers and transportation to families separated by immigrant detention. Detention is a difficult time that tears families apart and creates a financial burden, so they have always offered their services free of cost. Since they first opened their doors, they’ve hosted over 1,600 immigrants and the need only continues to grow. DONATE
CREATIVE ways to CONTINUE to support this organization …
- DONATE HERE. A few creative ideas for GIVING: ASK FOR A DONATION to be made as a gift for your next birthday … GIVE a gift in honor of someone you love for an upcoming holiday or celebration. FORM A TEAM on Facebook or GoFundMe and raise funds for a special occasion or celebration in your life … or just because you want to!
- CONNECT WITH, follow, and friend Casa de Paz: Website | Facebook & Insta | Info about volunteering & to join mailing list
- SHARE! Send this link to 5 PEOPLE passionate about making a difference locally and globally, together. Let’s EXPAND this organization’s connections!
- WATCH the documentary films “Welcome Strangers“, about Casa de Paz, and “The 3-Minute Hug” on Netflix / Trailer.
- READ the book about Casa de Paz and Sarah Jackson’s journey, “The House That Love Built: Why I Opened My Door to Immigrants and How We Found Hope Beyond a Broken System”
- WATCH my conversation with the always-inspiring Sarah Jackson about why this endeavor matters so very much to her.
JOIN US as an EVERYDAY PHILANTHROPIST …
As part of our call to all to be an everyday philanthropist, each month I spotlight a project or program in the world. Our partner’s focus is in at least one of these five categories: human rights, education, health, community emergencies, and art-activism. I am blessed with a huge pool of changemakers in my community – so there is never a lack of trusted organizations with whom to partner.
This sort of “everyday philanthropy” is about an unrestrained generosity rooted in the reality of your everyday life. Generosity feels good. It is part of your purpose on the planet. It finds ways to share with others the treasure trove of whatever you have and whatever you love. It makes a difference with your small and large acts alike … living with a commitment and connection to your sisters and brothers near and far. Explore and discover your unique – right here and now – calling to be an everyday philanthropist today.
I get it: These stories and the very invitation to give and to BE philanthropists isn’t always comfortable. Or easy. Sometimes it’s the world’s pain pricking our hearts that wakes us up to see – and say yes! – to our destiny.
So, today and together, let’s dispute the suggestion that philanthropy is an exclusive club only for those deemed wealthy. Today and together, let’s dispute that the only thing that matters and makes a difference is giving in “big” ways. The movement that will be unleashed when we live as generously unrestrained philanthropists WILL light up the world.
You are loved.
We belong to each other.
Let’s standTALL together and light up the world!
xo, -Sarah Davison-Tracy, Seeds of Exchange