WHY THIS IS SO IMPACTFUL & IMPORTANT …
You might be wondering why these mamas have trauma and why is there a community of single moms and widows? (The answer to that requires a bit of a history lesson.) These sisters live in a unique part of Uganda that has made their trauma stories complicated. They are far enough north that the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) came violently through their villages, far enough south that they were deeply impacted by the Bush War (civil war with Idi Amin) and far enough east that the Karamojong Raiders have greatly impacted them. Thus, in the last forty years, they’ve been impacted by three different sets of war or rebel movements. Brandi and her organization have heard over and over how these sisters are gripped with fear, flashbacks, and PTSD. The impact of this trauma in their day to day lives is real and palpable.
We believe in healing and beauty – always and for all – even in the midst of the worst of the worst.
I want to see our mamas heal. They’re worth it. Their kids are worth it. I can hardly imagine without tears what it will be like for them to experience healing and more training. I can’t wait to watch them SOAR! Over the years of working with these mamas, we’ve heard their hopes for both trauma therapy and business training, and believe they are right about the impact both will have on their families. This is what they’ve said to us:
“When we heal, our minds will have peace.
When our minds have peace our businesses will thrive.
When our businesses thrive, our children will flourish.”
So, it is to their requests, their wisdom, their hope for the future that we are launching this program in 2020. Thank YOU for joining us, -Brandi & the BFAU mamas
CREATIVE ways to support this project …
- Collaborate! FORM A TEAM on GoFundMe and help us raise funds for a special occasion or celebration … or just because you want to! (Contact Sarah for info or to set your team up.)
- Share this page with 5 people passionate about trauma therapy, business training, global community, human rights. Let’s see how we can EXPAND this organization’s community connections!
- Join for the Seeds Storyteller Series with Brandi Lea, founder of BFAU – link coming soon! See the Facebook Seeds of Exchange event page for a list of upcoming dates and times or check out our replays on YouTube.
- Ask for a donation to be made on as a gift to YOU this holiday season!!! OR GIVE a gift in honor of someone you love this holiday season!
- Call, text, or email and say THANKS to someone who has been a part of helping YOU heal and thrive!
- Connect with, follow, and friend Beauty for Ashes Uganda: website, Facebook, instagram, YouTube.
xo, Sarah Davison-Tracy, Seeds of Exchange & the team of Beauty for Ashes, Uganda